Friday, November 26, 2010

Extolling the virtues of chastity - my take

My blog topic for today leaped from my web browser this morning, as I read Celtic Queen's recent blog on Extolling the virtues of chastity.  She closes her thoughts posing the question:
So, gaining social acceptance for chastity - how do we do it? Do we proudly march on town hall with our menfolk safely locked away in their various tubes, cages and belts, padlocks a'rattling until the outrage dies down? Do we disassociate ourselves from the deeper kink stuff so that chastity devices become as acceptable as lube and "novelty" vibrators or do we give it a place in the self help book sections on "How to keep the magic in your marriage"?

This is a topic that has churned in the back of my mind many times.  I draw a parallel.  As a fan of the sex columnist, Dan Savage, I've often heard him discussing the issue of gays coming out of the closet.  He praises early gays for their bravery in coming out of the closet, and makes mention of how their courage and sacrifice made it easier for those who followed.  At this point, he pretty much expresses outrage at "closet cases" who live a secret life, denying their own sexuality.   I think he believes that, by expressing shame over their own homosexuality, the closet cases project that others should be ashamed of their homosexuality as well.  I think he views closet cases as harmful to the greater acceptance of homosexuality.


So, I look at that situation, and consider kink in general, and chastity play in specific.  Are we doing the community a disservice by being so discrete?  By keeping our chastity lifestyles in the closet, do we project an impression that we are ashamed of our sexuality?  If we "come out of the closet" with our chastity kinks, would we do a service to those that follow? 

Personally, I'm reluctant to show my face in my blog.  I try not to post enough information that someone could deduce, for sure, who I am.  Is that out of a sense of prudence about my job and my family?   Is it shame?  Is it cowardice?

Things that make you go "Hmmmm"....

No comments:

Post a Comment